- VLC is available for the Apple TV on the Apple App Store.
- Alternatively, you can use VLC on iPhone, iPad, or Mac to AirPlay its content to Apple TV.
VLC is open source media player that you can use on your Apple TV to stream audio and video files. You can get the VLC media player on Apple TV from the Apple App Store. With VLC media play, you can play media files in any format on your streaming device. Moreover, you can directly stream content from media servers and the web using the VLC app. With the VLC media player, you will able to watch IPTV on Apple TVs.
How to Download VLC on Apple TV
1. Turn ON your Apple TV and connect it to a strong Internet connection.
2. Locate the App Store and select it.
Information Use !!
Concerned about online trackers and introducers tracing your internet activity? Or do you face geo-restrictions while streaming? Get NordVPN - the ultra-fast VPN trusted by millions, which is available at 69% off + 3 Months Extra. With the Double VPN, Split tunneling, and Custom DNS, you can experience internet freedom anytime, anywhere.
3. Click Search on the App Store.
4. Type VLC in the search box and search for the app.
5. Tap the VLC app from the search results and hit the Get button to install the app on Apple TV.
How to Use VLC on Apple TV
1. Launch the VLC Media Player on your TV.
2. Navigate to the Remote Playback tab and tap Enable Remote Playback.
3. Note down the IP address shown on the Apple TV screen.
4. Turn ON your Mac and Launch a browser of your choice.
5. Go to the Search bar and enter the IP address exhibited on the TV screen.
6. You will be directed to the VLC’s Remote Playback Window. Here, drag and drop the media file from your Mac.
7. Now, the media file will be played on your Apple TV.
8. You can also add a URL of a video on the URL box under the Network Stream tab and watch the video on your Apple TV.
If you find any problem in streaming videos, restart your Apple TV and try playing the video again.
How to AirPlay VLC on Apple TV
For Apple TVs with no app store, you can use your Apple devices to AirPlay VLC content to your TVs. Before proceeding with the AirPlay steps, connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network, the same as your AirPlay source.
AirPlay VLC from iPhone or iPad
1. Install and launch the VLC Media Player on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Add any media file from your iPhone or iPad to the VLC media player.
3. Tap the Cast icon on the top-right corner
3. Hit the AirPlay icon on the media player screen.
4. Click on the AirPlay or Bluetooth option.
5. Select your Apple TV from the list of available devices.
Once the devices are connected, your iPhone/iPad screen will appear on the Apple TV.
AirPlay VLC from Mac
1. Open the VLC app on your Mac and start playing any content.
2. Go to the Control Center of your Mac and select Screen Mirroring.
3. Select your Apple TV from the list of available devices.
Once the connection is established, your Mac screen will appear on the Apple TV.
How to Fix VLC Not Working on Apple TV
On some occasions, the VLC app force closes itself and exhibits a black screen. If you are facing this issue on your Apple TV, refer to the solutions below to fix it.
- Update the VLC player to the latest version.
- Update Apple TV device.
- Remove unsupported files on the VLC player.
- Clear the cache data on the VLC app.
- Remove unwanted apps on Apple TV.
- Uninstall and reinstall the VLC Media Player.
- Restart your Apple TV and check again.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can get the VLC app from the App Store on your tvOS.
Yes. VLC Media Player is an AirPlay-compatible app.
Disclosure: If we like a product or service, we might refer them to our readers via an affiliate link, which means we may receive a referral commission from the sale if you buy the product that we recommended, read more about that in our affiliate disclosure.