Google Chrome is the first browser to introduce the dark mode feature. With dark mode, you can get a new browsing experience and can surf the internet for a longer time at night. The dark mode feature is available on smartphones, PCs, and tablets. Enabling dark mode on Chrome is simple and can be done within a few minutes.
How to Enable Dark Mode on Chrome Via Browser Settings
1. First, click Customize and Control Google Chrome (Vertical meatballs icon) on the top right.
2. Click Settings → You and Google → Customize your Chrome Profile.
Information Use !!
Concerned about online trackers and introducers tracing your internet activity? Or do you face geo-restrictions while streaming? Get NordVPN - the ultra-fast VPN trusted by millions, which is available at 69% off + 3 Months Extra. With the Double VPN, Split tunneling, and Custom DNS, you can experience internet freedom anytime, anywhere.
3. Under Pick a theme color, click Black.
The dark mode will be applied automatically on your browser.
Apply Dark Mode on Chrome using Themes
1. Go to Chrome Settings → Appearance → Themes.
Note: Alternatively, you can navigate to Chrome Web Store → Click Themes (On the left) to apply the theme.
2. Scroll down to the Dark & Black themes section and click on the desired theme.
3. Finally, click Add to Chrome to apply the dark theme.
Tip: Update Google Chrome frequently to use the new rolled-out themes.
How to Set Dark Mode on Google Chrome using Extensions
1. Navigate to Chrome Web Store and search for Dark mode.
2. Choose an extension and click on it.
3. Click Add to Chrome → Add Extension to apply the dark theme on your browser.
Note: You can also use dark mode extensions to enable the dark theme on the Brave browser.
Other Dark Mode Extensions
The popular dark mode extensions are listed below.
Night Eye uses a proprietary algorithm to enable dark mode and also lets your control the dark themes on sites like YouTube, Twitch, etc. Added to that, you can also customize brightness, contrast, saturation adjustments, etc.
Dark Reader is the best-known dark-mode extension to enable dark mode by creating dark themes. It is trusted by over 4 million users. Dark Reader lets the bright colors invert to high contrast for easy reading at night.
Dark Night Mode
Dark Night is open source dark theme extension for Chrome. Unlike other dark mode extensions, it does not invert color, so the black-colored website will stay the same. It applies a unique algorithm as you browse in real-time.
How to Activate Force Dark Mode on Chrome Browser
Some sites may not support this feature by default by enabling dark mode. Hence, you need to force dark mode to view all sites in dark mode.
1. On your Chrome browser, visit
2. Type dark in the search bar, and see Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents in the search results under the Available section.
3. Click on the drop-down, and select Enabled.
4. Next, click Relaunch to restart the Chrome browser.
5. Now, use the Chrome browser in the dark theme.
How to Set Dark Mode on Chrome [Windows/Mac]
You can also use Chrome browser in dark theme by enabling the dark mode on Windows or Mac.
1. First, go to Windows Settings → Personalization → Color.
2. Under Choose your default mode, select Dark.
Once selected, the browser will turn into dark mode.
Like Windows, you can change the browser’s dark mode using Mac’s settings.
1. Click the Apple Menu → System → Preferences → General.
2. In the Appearance section, click Dark. This will turn the mode on your Chrome browser on Mac.
How to Enable Dark Mode on Chrome Browser [Android Phone]
1. Launch Chrome and tap on the Vertical meatballs icon.
2. Click Settings → Theme.
3. Finally, click Dark to enable the dark mode on the browser.
Note: Chrome turns dark-colored when you enable the dark theme on your smartphone settings.
How to Enable Dark Mode on Google Chrome [iPhone/iPad]
1. Go to Settings on your device.
2. Tap Display & Brightness and click Dark.
3. Now, you can use the Chrome browser on the dark theme on your iPhone/iPad.
Disclosure: If we like a product or service, we might refer them to our readers via an affiliate link, which means we may receive a referral commission from the sale if you buy the product that we recommended, read more about that in our affiliate disclosure.