Bookmarking on Google Chrome is an essential feature that enhances your productivity. With bookmarks, you can save the links of websites you frequently visit, which neglects the process of manually searching for the sites. You can add a bookmark by clicking the Star symbol on the rightmost end of the address bar. Sometimes, if you are switching your device, you need to export bookmarks from Google Chrome to use it on another device. You can easily export bookmarks from Chrome in two different ways.
- HTML files
- Syncing across devices
How to Export Google Chrome Bookmarks in HTML Files
Exporting Chrome bookmarks on your Windows and macOS devices involves a similar process.
1. Open Chrome on your device.
Information Use !!
Concerned about online trackers and introducers tracing your internet activity? Or do you face geo-restrictions while streaming? Get NordVPN - the ultra-fast VPN trusted by millions, which is available at 69% off + 3 Months Extra. With the Double VPN, Split tunneling, and Custom DNS, you can experience internet freedom anytime, anywhere.
2. Click the three vertical dots at the top right corner of the browser.
3. Next, click Bookmarks Bookmark manager.
- On Windows, you can easily open the Bookmark manager using the shortcut keys Ctrl + Shift + O.
- Use the Command + Option + B keys to open Bookmark manager on Mac.
4. On the Bookmark manager, click the Organize (three vertical balls) icon and click Export bookmarks.
Note: Similarly, you can import the bookmarks by selecting the option Import Bookmarks.
5. Your bookmarks will be organized as an HTML document. Choose the storage location to download the bookmark HTML document and click Save.
While downloading HTML Documents on Mac, you can add Tags if needed.
How to Use Exported Bookmarks on Other Browsers
1. HTML Document will be stored on your desktop.
2. Open the folder that has the HTML file.
3. Right-click on the file and select the Open with option.
4. Select the Browser and click Ok on the prompt to continue.
5. On the next page, saved bookmarks will be listed.
6. Select any bookmark to open.
Alternative Method to Export Bookmarks from Chrome Browser
Instead of downloading the bookmarks as an HTML document, you can sync them across devices using the Sync feature.
1. On Chrome, click on the vertical dotted icon and select Settings.
2. Click You and Google on the left, and further, click Turn on Sync.
3. Click Yes, I’m in when asked for confirmation to sync bookmarks, passwords, and other info.
That’s it! The bookmarks will be synced when you sign in using the same Google across all devices.
Tip: By deleting Chrome browsing history or resetting Chrome, you can keep your browser clean, safe, and secure.
How to Export Google Chrome Bookmarks on Smartphone
Unfortunately, Chrome does not offer the feature to download the bookmarks as an HTML document on mobile. You need to enable the Sync feature to get all your bookmarks, passwords, and browsing history on another device.
On Android Phone
1. Open the Google Chrome browser.
2. Log in to your Google account to which you want to access the bookmarks on all devices.
3. Tap the three dots icon at the top right and navigate to Settings.
4. Tap the Sync option under the You and Google section.
5. Turn on Sync everything by enabling the toggle switch.
1. Go to Chrome, and tap the three-dot icon at the bottom.
2. Tap Settings and click Sync.
3. Turn on Sync Everything and tap Done.
Go to Safari → File → Export Bookmarks and save it on your local storage. Next, launch Chrome → Bookmarks → Import Bookmarks and Settings → Choose Bookmarks HTML file from the drop-down → Choose File → Import the bookmarks file.
You can import passwords from Safari to Chrome in two different ways. Using Chrome Settings and uploading passwords as CSV files.
Disclosure: If we like a product or service, we might refer them to our readers via an affiliate link, which means we may receive a referral commission from the sale if you buy the product that we recommended, read more about that in our affiliate disclosure.