The PlayStation 3 controller comes with a built-in lithium-ion battery and it offers 20 hours of gameplay while it is charged fully. You need to charge the PlayStation 3 controller while you are not using it to increase the hours of gameplay. It is recommended to use only the original Sony charger because the third-party cables are inconsistent. If you have lost the PS3 charger, you can also use the general USB cable with your PS3 controller to charge. In this guide, let’s learn how to charge a PS3 controller.
How to Charge PS3 Controller
1. Turn on your PS3 by pressing the Power button at the front of the console. In older models, you will find the power button on the backside of the PS3 controller.
2. Take the USB cable that came with the PS3 controller to charge it. If you don’t have a USB cable, you can buy the general USB cable to charge.
3. Connect the USB plug to the USB port on your PlayStation 3 console.
4. Plug in the Small end (micro-USB) of the USB cable to your PS3 controller.
5. Once you connect the controller, press the Power button on your PS3 controller.
6. Now, you can see the red light flashing on the front of your PlayStation 3 controller.
7. Finally, your PlayStation 3 controller is charging. You can leave your charger cable at least for an hour to charge your PlayStation 3 controller fully.
Related: How to Connect PS3 Controller to PC
How to Charge the PS3 Controller Using PC
You need a USB cable to charge the PS3 controller using a PC. Once you got the USB cable, turn on your PC and connect the USB plug in the USB port to your PC. Then, connect the other end of the USB cable to your PS3 controller.
You can see the four red lights flashing on the front of your PS3 controller when it is turned off. But if you are charging the controller when it is in use, a single red light will flash on your PlayStation 3 controller.
Thus, you can charge your PlayStation 3 Controller with a PS3 Console or PC. You have to charge the Controller beforehand and have an exciting gaming experience with your PlayStation 3 controller.
Related: How to Connect Bluetooth Headphones to PS3
Frequently Asked Questions
If your PlayStation 3 controller is not charging, make sure that you are using the original Sony charger and try connecting the USB cable with another USB port on your PS3 console.
The PlayStation 3 controllers take two hours to charge fully.
Press and hold the power button on your controller for a few seconds. Select Turn off Controller from the menu that appears on the screen to turn off your PS3 controller.
No, it is not necessary to turn on your PS3 controller while charging. You can turn on only the system that you use to charge your PS3 controller.