- The PlayStation 5 does not natively support wireless audio.
- Connect Bluetooth Headphones to PS5:
- Use a Bluetooth adapter to connect the wireless headphones to PS5.
- Pair the Bluetooth headphones to the TV via the TV settings and then connect your PS5 to the TV to initiate the connection.
- Establish the connection using the PS Remote Play app and enjoy in-game audio.
Though I have varied interests, I prefer to be known as a game addict. This is why I spend many hours gaming on the PlayStation 5. Especially playing games like The Last of Us: part I, Horizon Forbidden West, and Call of Duty on the console gives me an immersive gaming experience. But as I looked for a way to listen to the amazing sound effects of PS5 gaming without the disturbance of wires or cords, Bluetooth headphones sounded a great option.
If you’ve reached this page with the same notion, you’ve made the right decision. Even though the PlayStation 5 does not natively support wireless audio, I’ve discovered a few tricks that will help you connect your Bluetooth headphones to the PS5. You can use a Bluetooth adapter to pair your Bluetooth headphones to your PS5.
Alternatively, you can pair the Bluetooth headphones to the PS5-connected TV and modify the settings to establish the connection. The PS Remote Play app is one of the best ways to remotely enjoy in-game audio while playing PS5 games on the Smartphone. Read this article to learn all possible ways to connect Bluetooth headphones to the PS5.
How to Connect Bluetooth Headphones to PS5
As I’ve discussed earlier, there is no direct support for wireless audio on the PlayStation 5. While this move is made to prevent latency issues, listening to 3D gaming audio with Bluetooth headphones ensures a better gaming experience. For this reason, I’ve provided the following methods to help you initiate the pairing process.
Using a Bluetooth Adapter
A Bluetooth adapter, aka dongle, is an optimal way to connect the Bluetooth headphones to your PS5. Once you plug the adapter into your system, it helps establish the connection as the PS5 by sending wireless signals to your Bluetooth headphones.
Information Use !!
Concerned about online trackers and introducers tracing your internet activity? Or do you face geo-restrictions while streaming? Get NordVPN - the ultra-fast VPN trusted by millions, which is available at 69% off + 3 Months Extra. With the Double VPN, Split tunneling, and Custom DNS, you can experience internet freedom anytime, anywhere.
Before you start with the pairing, you should make sure that your Bluetooth adapter meets the following criteria.
- Ensure that your Bluetooth adapter shows support for audio signals. You should confirm this because some adapters only come with support for data transfers.
- Check and confirm that there is a pairing button on your Bluetooth adapter.
- Verify with the seller that the Bluetooth adapter is a Bluetooth transmitter and not a receiver. This is important as you want the device to transmit audio signals from the PS5 to your headphones.
Connect Bluetooth Headphones to PS5 Via Bluetooth Adapter
1. Fetch the Bluetooth adapter and plug the adapter into the correct USB port on the PlayStation 5.
Note: Your PS5 has two USB ports on the front panel and two USB ports on the back panel. I suggest you use the ports on the front panel since they will provide less signal interference than the other ones.
2. Look for the pairing button on your Bluetooth adapter.
3. Press and hold the adapter’s pairing button for 5 to 10 seconds. The time will differ based on the adapter brand. So, check the manual of the adapter and hold the button for that specific time.
4. In a similar manner, hit the pairing button on the Bluetooth headphone to put the accessory into pairing mode.
5. Wait for a few seconds till the pairing becomes successful.
6. Your headphones should release a tone or voice alert that confirms the successful pairing of the accessory.
You will now be able to hear the realistic sound effects of your PS5 games through your Bluetooth headphones.
Via TV Settings
If the Smart TV connected to your PS5 supports Bluetooth, you can pair the headphones to the TV and adjust your TV settings to establish the connection.
1. Locate the pairing button on your Bluetooth headphones and press the button to initiate the pairing mode.
2. Before connecting your PS5 to the Smart TV, navigate to Settings on the Smart TV.
3. Move to the Sound Output option and pick the Bluetooth Speaker List.
4. The TV screen will display a list of available Bluetooth accessories.
5. Choose your Bluetooth headphones and click Pair and Connect.
Note: The pairing process will differ based on the TV brand and model. To take, for example, you should select Settings → Bluetooth Connectivity → Use Wireless Speaker on Samsung Smart TV to enable pairing mode.
6. After pairing, change your headphones as the main audio output in the Settings menu of your Smart TV.
7. Finally, connect the PlayStation 5 to your Smart TV and power on your PS5.
8. Play any game on the PS5 after you connect the PS5 to the internet and confirm that you can hear the audio through your Bluetooth headphones.
Using the Remote Play app
With the help of the PS Remote Play app, you can play PS5 games on your smartphone. You can make use of your smartphone’s built-in Bluetooth support to connect your headphones and hear the in-game sound.
1. First, make sure your smartphone and PS5 are connected to the same network.
3. Go to the PS5 home screen and tap the Settings icon at the top right corner.
4. From the Settings menu, choose the System option followed by Remote Play.
5. Tap the toggle next to Enable Remote Play. Doing this will enable the Remote Play feature on the PlayStation 5.
6. Get back to the System setting and choose the Power Saving option.
7. Make sure the Stay Connected to the Internet and Enable Turning On PS5 from Network options are turned on such that you can use the Remote Play feature in rest mode.
8. Now, open the PS Remote Play app on your smartphone.
9. Sign in to your PSN account using your credentials.
10. You can play any PS5 games on the device using the onscreen control options.
11. Finally, turn on Bluetooth on your smartphone and pair the headphones to your device.
Once paired, you can listen to the in-game audio while playing PS5 games on your smartphone. You should note that the PS Remote Play does not let you connect your Bluetooth headphones directly to your PS5. Instead, the app enables you to hear every sound of your game while playing PS5 games on the smartphone.
Bluetooth Connected but No Audio: Suitable Fix
If you cannot hear the audio, you should check and confirm whether the sound output on your PS5 is set to your Bluetooth headphones. To confirm that,
1. Go to PS5 Settings and scroll to Sound.
2. Choose the Audio Output option and make sure your wireless is found next to Output Device.
Note: Under the Audio Output, you can go to the Headphones section, choose the Output to Headphones option, and select Voice Chat Audio if you only want to hear voice chat audio.
3. Tap on the toggle next to Switch Output Device Automatically to disable the option if the switch is turned on.
Once you turn off this function, you need not frequently set your main audio device as headphones. This solution is very helpful to prevent audio issues that occur because of incorrect output device settings.
Bluetooth Headphones Won’t Connect to PS5: Fixes and Workarounds
If you can’t connect your Bluetooth headphones to the PS5, try the following fixes and workarounds to resolve the problem in minutes.
- Insert the Bluetooth adapter into a different port on the PS5: As the USB A ports support different connection speeds, there is a good chance for the port to not work with your Bluetooth adapter. So, plug in the adapter to another port and try again.
- Make sure your adapter is compatible with PS5: Pick the adapter that acts as a transmitter and is compatible with your PS5 gaming console. While considering the Bluetooth adapter for your PS5, go for the ones with support for mic audio input and low-latency audio codes for enhanced in-game audio.
- Restart the PS5 console: To resolve the connection issues, you should restart your PS5 console. This fix will work well for you if you’ve connected multiple devices.
- Reset the headphones: Sometimes, the fault can be with the headphones. In such a case, you should reset your headphones to fix the problem.
- Try the AUX cable: If you want to somehow connect your Bluetooth headphones to your PS5, check whether an AUX cable comes with your headphones. You can connect it to the controller’s 3.5 mm jack or the USB C port of the PS5 console.
Yes, you can use the built-in Bluetooth support of your TV connected to the PS5 to pair your Bluetooth headphones with the PS5 without an adapter.
No, there is no support for direct pairing with Bluetooth headphones, including Apple AirPods, for PS5 audio output. However, you can use a compatible Bluetooth adapter to initiate the connection.
Disclosure: If we like a product or service, we might refer them to our readers via an affiliate link, which means we may receive a referral commission from the sale if you buy the product that we recommended, read more about that in our affiliate disclosure.