One of the best features of the Roku streaming devices and Roku TVs is Private Listening. You can connect earphones to the Roku remote or your smartphone and listen to audio content from the Roku streaming devices. In this way, you can watch movies late at night without disturbing others. Private Listening is a must-have feature for binge-watchers.
Methods to Use Private Listening on Roku
There are three methods to use Private Listening on Roku streaming devices and TVs.
- Using Roku Mobile App
- Using Roku Voice Remote
- From Roku TV
Using Roku Mobile App
1. Connect your Smartphone and Roku device with the same WiFi network.
Information Use !!
Concerned about online trackers and introducers tracing your internet activity? Or do you face geo-restrictions while streaming? Get NordVPN - the ultra-fast VPN trusted by millions, which is available at 69% off + 3 Months Extra. With the Double VPN, Split tunneling, and Custom DNS, you can experience internet freedom anytime, anywhere.
3. Then, connect your earphone to the Smartphone.
4. Open the Roku app on your device and select the Devices icon.
5. From the following nearby devices, select the Roku device.
6. Now, click on the Remote icon in the app.
7. You can find a Headphone icon on the screen and tap it.
8. Once the headphone is connected to your smartphone, you will find the icon on your home screen.
9. Finally, you can start listening to the audio content using headphones.
Using the Roku mobile app, you can connect up to four smartphones and access the Private Listening feature. You can use the Roku mobile app to control the device, like connecting the Roku device to WiFi without a remote, turning off the device, and more.
Using Roku Voice Remote
1. First, locate the built-in Headphone jack on the side of the remote.
2. Then, plug in headphones or earphones. You can use the kit headphones or any brand of headphones.
3. Once the headphone is connected, you can see the Headphone icon appear on your TV screen.
4. Now, select the movie or content you need to watch.
5. The audio content will be heard on the headphones.
6. You can use the Volume buttons on the remote to control the volume.
How to Use Private Listening on Roku TV
Some selected models for Roku TV from TCL and Hisense offer a headphone jack on the backside. You can use that audio port to get private listening.
1. Go to your TV’s backside and find the Headphone port.
2. Insert your headphone into the port.
3. Make sure that the wired headphone covers the distance between your TV and the couch.
4. Then, play any video content. You can hear the audio on your headphones.
Private Listening is Not working on Roku
If you have any issues with the Private Listening feature, here are some following troubleshooting methods to fix the issues.
- Make sure that the WiFi is connected to your Roku device.
- If you have any lags in Private Listening, unplug the headphone and plug it in again.
- Keep your Roku remote or smartphone within a 10 m range.
- Use an updated version of the Roku mobile app.
- Update your Roku device if needed.
- Check whether the volume is up and not in mute.
Only the Roku Voice Remote has the Private Listening feature. Other Roku remote models won’t have this feature.
Yes, you can use the Airpods with the mobile app to use Private Listening.
To turn off the Private Listening, you can just remove the headphones. It will be deactivated.
Disclosure: If we like a product or service, we might refer them to our readers via an affiliate link, which means we may receive a referral commission from the sale if you buy the product that we recommended, read more about that in our affiliate disclosure.