- The Skype app is not supported on Apple TV streaming devices.
- You can AirPlay or screen mirror Skype from Mac, iPhone, or iPad to Apple TVs.
Skype is one of the oldest video conferencing apps and services that lets you make video and audio calls and send messages over the internet. Just like all other video conferencing apps, the Skype app’s support is limited to mobile devices and PCs. The Skype app is not available for streaming devices like Apple TV. However, if you wish to use your Apple TV screen for video conferences, you can AirPlay or screen mirror Skype from your Mac, iPhone, or iPad.
In screen mirroring, you will still need your Mac, iPhone, or iPad as video and audio sources for the Skype call. In this guide, I will show you how to AirPlay or screen mirror the Skype app to your Apple TV.
How to Stream Skype Video Calls on Apple TV?
It is to be noted that the App Store doesn’t have a dedicated Skype app for Apple TVs. Therefore, to use Skype on Apple TV, you must use the AirPlay feature and mirror the screen from your Mac, iPhone, or iPad.
AirPlay Skype Video Calls to Apple TV from Mac Desktop or MacBook
To AirPlay Skype from your Mac, you must enable the AirPlay option on your macOS. You can skip this section if you have already enabled AirPlay on your macOS.
How to Enable AirPlay on a Mac Desktop or MacBook?
1. First, click on the Apple menu icon on the top right corner of your screen.
Information Use !!
Concerned about online trackers and introducers tracing your internet activity? Or do you face geo-restrictions while streaming? Get NordVPN - the ultra-fast VPN trusted by millions, which is available at 69% off + 3 Months Extra. With the Double VPN, Split tunneling, and Custom DNS, you can experience internet freedom anytime, anywhere.
2. In the drop-down menu, select System Preferences.
3. Next, go to the Displays option in the System Preferences window.
3. Then, check the box next to Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available to enable AirPlay on Mac.
AirPlay Skype from Mac
1. Ensure your Apple TV is connected to the same WiFi as your Mac.
2. Click the AirPlay icon at the top of your Mac’s screen or on the menu bar.
3. Select the Apple TV device you want to AirPlay from the drop-down menu.
Note: If there is no AirPlay icon, open the Mac’s Control Center and click on the Screen Mirroring option. From the list of available devices, select your Apple TV.
4. Enter the password displayed on the screen of the Apple TV in the pop-up window that shows up on your Mac.
5. You can see your Mac screen mirrored to your Apple TV screen.
6. Visit Skype’s official website or open the Skype app. Sign in to your account and make a call.
7. You can see your macOS screen mirrored on your Apple TV.
AirPlay Skype Video Calls to Apple TV from iPhone/iPad
1. Install the Skype app from the App Store on your iPhone.
2. Connect your iPhone to the same WIFI network as your Apple TV.
3. Then, open the Control Center and tap on the Screen Mirroring icon.
4. From the list of available devices, select your Apple TV device.
5. Once the connection is established, open the Skype app on your iOS device and Sign in to your Skype account. The call you make and receive on Skype will mirror on the TV screen.
Frequently Asked Questions
As we said earlier, Skype is not available for Apple TVs. Furthermore, since Skype requires camera and microphone access to make video/audio calls, Skype will not be released for Apple TV or other streaming devices.
Mirroring an Android device on Apple TV is a complicated process, and you need to install a third-party app for screen mirroring. So, it is advisable to Airplay from an iOS device.
Disclosure: If we like a product or service, we might refer them to our readers via an affiliate link, which means we may receive a referral commission from the sale if you buy the product that we recommended, read more about that in our affiliate disclosure.