Safari is the default web browser for Apple products like Mac, iPhone, and iPad. If you click any of the links on your Mac or iOS device, it will direct you to the Safari browser. If you are not a fan of Safari, you can change the default browser on your Mac to Google Chrome or any other web browser.
Before changing the default browser, install any of the best third-party browsers on your Mac from the App Store or from the website. If you don’t have any other browser on your Mac, you can’t change the default browser settings.
Disadvantages of Safari Browser
Though Safari browser is a built-in browser for Apple devices, it possesses some disadvantages. Some of them are,
Information Use !!
Concerned about online trackers and introducers tracing your internet activity? Or do you face geo-restrictions while streaming? Get NordVPN - the ultra-fast VPN trusted by millions, which is available at 69% off + 3 Months Extra. With the Double VPN, Split tunneling, and Custom DNS, you can experience internet freedom anytime, anywhere.
- The first and foremost disadvantage is the extensions and plugin support. There are only a limited number of plugins available for Safari when compared to Chrome or Firefox.
- Safari browser is a closed-source code browser. This means that you can’t edit the website’s source codes directly based on your needs.
- Some of the websites can’t be accessible in Safari, especially torrent websites.
- The customization options available in Safari are limited.
How to Change Default Browser on Mac
(1) Click on the Apple icon at the top left corner.
(2) Select the option System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
(3) Select the General option on the System Preferences menu.
(4) Scroll down and click on the Default web browser menu.
(5) Select your desired web browser from the list of browsers you have installed on your Mac.
(6) Close the dialog box to save the changes on your Mac.
Instead of changing the default web browser, you can change the search engine on Safari to get a good browsing experience. There are five search engines available in the Safari browser. You can choose anyone from Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, Bing, Yandex, and Google.
How to Change Chrome as your Default Browser on Mac
(2) Click on the Preferences option under the Chrome tab.
(3) Choose the Default browser option from the left panel.
(4) Click on the Make default button and select the Use Chrome option.
(5) Now, the default browser of your Mac has been changed to Chrome.
How to Change Firefox as your Default Browser on Mac
(1) Install the Firefox browser on your Macbook.
(2) Click on the Hamburger icon located at the top right.
(3) Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
(4) Choose General from the left panel.
(5) Select the option Make Default under the Startup menu.
(6) Now, the default browser of your Mac has been changed to Firefox.
If you are not satisfied with Chrome or Firefox on your Mac, you can revert back to Safari as your default browser on Mac.
Yes, Safari is the best browser with advanced security features. But, owing to robust security features, it lacks some of the common features.
Yes, you can change the default browser on your iPhone from Safari to any other browser.
Disclosure: If we like a product or service, we might refer them to our readers via an affiliate link, which means we may receive a referral commission from the sale if you buy the product that we recommended, read more about that in our affiliate disclosure.