Plex allows users to watch personal videos, photos, and music on Google TV. Unlike its previous version, Chromecast with Google TV comes with an Android TV OS and has the ability to download apps within the device. It is important to know that Google TV provides the ability to stream the content directly from the Plex Media Server. If you want to access plex content on Chromecast with Google TV, follow the guide and do it in the right way.
How to Stream Plex on Google TV with Chromecast
You need to follow three simple procedures to watch Plex media content on your TV.
- Set up Plex Media Server on PC
- Install Plex Media Player on Google TV
- Set up Plex app on Google TV
Set up Plex Media Server on PC
First, you need to set up Plex Media Server on your PC to sync all your personal media files.
1. Visit plex.tv/media-server-downloads on your PC web browser.
2. Download the file and install it on your PC.
3. Once the installation is over, click the Launch menu.
4. It will be direct you to a browser page. Now Sign in to your Plex account or create a new one.
5. Give a name for your server and select Next. Check the box beside Allow me to access my media outside my home to access the media on Google TV, and then click Next.
6. Now, click DONE to set up the server. After setting up the server, upload the files that you would like to.
You have successfully set up the Plex Media Server on your PC. Now you have to upload your personal media files to the server. Those files can be streamed on Google TV by downloading the Plex Media Player.
Install Plex on Chromecast with Google TV
Quick Start Guide: From Google TV home, click Apps >> Select Search for Apps >> Search and browse for Plex >> Install it >> Click Open to launch.
1. Set up Google Chromecast and navigate to the App section on the top of the screen using your TV remote.
2. Browse for the Plex app under the entertainment category or click Search for Apps.
3. Type Plex to search for the app. You can also voice search for Plex using the Microphone button.
4. Select the Plex app from the suggestions listed on the screen using the remote control
5. Click Install. Once installed, you will find the Open option. Select it and then go through the activation process.
Set up Plex on Chromecast with Google TV
1. To access Plex Media Server on Google TV, you need to activate the app with your Plex account. Click the Sign in on the bottom right corner of the screen.
2. You will get an activation code once you sign in.
3. Visit https://www.plex.tv/ using a web browser on your smartphone or computer and sign in using appropriate credentials.
4. Enter the code in the given text box and click Link.
5. You will get an account-linked confirmation message on the screen.
6. Plex App on the TV screen will start loading. If you like to buy a Plex pass, click Subscribe and Follow the on-screen instructions. If not needed, click Not now.
7. All the media files you uploaded earlier will appear on the screen after a few minutes. Select the content that you want and stream it effortlessly.
Related: How to Download and Install Plex for Android TV?
Alternate Method to Get Plex on Google TV via Casting
1. Connect your smartphone and Google TV with the same internet connection.
3. Install and launch the Plex app on your respective phone.
4. Sign in with your account information.
5. Now, click on the Cast icon on the top of the screen.
6. From the list of devices, choose your Chromecast device.
7. Choose to play any content on your mobile, and that will appear on your Google TV.
Note: To stop casting, click on the Cast icon and select Disconnect.
If you have subscribed for Plex Pass, you can watch additional content by adding the required plugins. Plex Pass also provides additional features like premium photo libraries, premium music content, camera upload, early access, and much more.
Related: How to Install Plex on Now TV Box?
Yes, you can cast the Plex app on Google TV with a desktop or laptop.
Unfortunately, no. Plex is not available on Nintendo Switch.
Plex is supported with Browsers, Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, Samsung Smart TV, Roku, Firestick, PlayStation, Xbox consoles, and more.
Click on the Cast icon from the Plex media server, and then choose your Google Home speakers and Chromecast devices. Now, start playing your favorite music.
Yes, you can stream various content altogether on the Plex app. It is definitely worth every penny.
Disclosure: If we like a product or service, we might refer them to our readers via an affiliate link, which means we may receive a referral commission from the sale if you buy the product that we recommended, read more about that in our affiliate disclosure.
- How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Chromecast
- How to Install and Watch BritBox on Google TV
- How to Stream Foxtel Go on Apple TV [2 Ways]
- How to Cast NBA on Chromecast-connected TV
- How to Protect Your Device From Spy Apps
- The Growing Opportunities of Mobile Game Development
- Outlook vs. Thunderbird: In-Depth Comparison – 2022
- 7 Christmas Scams to Watch Out For
- How to Watch House of the Dragon on Firestick
- How to Install Soap2day on Firestick / Fire TV