Firefox browser is known for its privacy and security features. This browser lets you block websites, manage passwords, and more. It is the second most popular open-source web browser and one of the best alternatives to the Chrome browser. It also provides a wide range of extensions and search engines. Usually, Google is the default search engine in the Firefox browser. However, Firefox lets you change the default search engine to others like Bing, Duck Duck Go & more.
How to Change Default Search Engine in Firefox [Windows & Mac]
1. Open Firefox on your Windows or Mac. If you haven’t downloaded it yet, click here to download it.
2. Click on the hamburger menu and click Settings.
3. Click on Search, and tap the drop-down menu under the Default Search Engine. Select the search engine from the available options.
Adding a New Search Engine
1. To add a custom search engine in Firefox, go to the website. Click on the address bar.
2. Click on Bubble or Three dots on the respective icon (Here, we have added a Twitter).
3. Twitter will be added to the list of search engines under Search Shortcuts.
4. Similarly, you can add your desired search engine by following the above steps.
Note: If you have trouble adding a search engine, clear the cache on Firefox and try adding again.
Restore Built-in Search Engine
1. Go to Firefox Settings → Search.
2. Select the search engine and click on Restore Default Search Engines.
3. Finally, your default search engine will be restored on the Firefox browser.
Hide & Remove Search Engine
To hide the search engine,
1. Hit the Menu button and select Settings.
2. In the Settings tab, select Search in the left pane.
3. Under Search Shortcuts, undo the tick next to each search engine you don’t want to use.
To remove the search engine,
1. Click Menu → Settings.
2. On Settings, click Search on the left pane.
3. Below Search Shortcuts, select the Search Engines you want to remove.
4. Click the Remove button to remove the search engine.
How to Change Default Search Engine in Android
1. Launch the Firefox app on an Android phone, click the three dots, and select Settings.
2. Under General, select Search. On the next page, select the search engine of your choice.
Add Search Engine
1. To add a new search engine, tap the + icon and add a search engine from Settings → Search → Add Search Engine.
2. Next, type the search engine’s name and the string to use. Then, tap Tick on the top right. Once added, browse safely on Firefox using the search engine.
Remove Search Engines
To remove the Search Engine in Firefox, select Settings and go to Search. Next, tap the three dots and click Delete to remove the search engines.
How to Change Default Search Engine on iPhone & iPad
1. Unlock your iPhone and launch the Firefox app.
2. Tap on Menu at the bottom of the page (iPad – top of the page).
3. Go to Settings → Search.
4. Google is the default search engine on Firefox. However, you can choose other search engines based on your choice by selecting one from the list.
5. You can add a custom search engine by selecting Add Search Engine.
Search Engines Supported on Firefox Browser
Here are the popular search engines that can be added to your Firefox browser
Frequently Asked Questions
Go to the Firefox browser and click on the Hamburger menu in the top right corner. Click on Settings -> Search (on the left side). Under the Default Search Engine section, click on the dropdown and select DuckDuckGo.
Firefox is a more private and secure browser than Google Chrome. Chrome is faster, but Firefox’s tracking protection is more comprehensive than Chrome.
Disclosure: If we like a product or service, we might refer them to our readers via an affiliate link, which means we may receive a referral commission from the sale if you buy the product that we recommended, read more about that in our affiliate disclosure.
- How to Install Nickelodeon Kodi Addon
- How to Mute a Tab in Chrome Browser
- How to Cancel Fortnite Crew Subscription
- How to Clear Firefox Cache [Smartphone & PC]
- How to Update Google Chrome Browser [Mobile & Desktop]
- Best Browser for Android TV / Android TV Box
- How to Reset Chrome Web Browser [Smartphone & PC]
- How to Install Les Mills on LG Smart TV
- How to Add and Watch Freevee on Roku
- How to Setup and Use Chromebook